Two-Way Intercom System: How Does it Work?

In summary, a two-way intercom system allows for two-way communication between two or more people in different locations. It works by using a microphone and speaker on each end to transmit and receive audio signals. These signals are transmitted through a wired or wireless connection, allowing for real-time communication. Some two-way intercom systems also have video capabilities, allowing for both audio and visual communication. The system can be activated by pressing a button or using voice commands. Two-way intercom systems are commonly used in security and communication systems, such as in buildings, schools, and hospitals.
aadittya123
intercom.gif

Can someone please give a detailed explanation of the working of this 2 way intercom ? The mic for the top speaker is between the 1M and 33 ohm resistors and the mic for the bottom left speaker is at the node just below the top speaker.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The left speaker is acting as a microphone.

The opamp is used as a high gain audio amplifier and it drives a transistor which is used as a speaker driver.

The speaker on the right would be connected by long leads to the amplifier and be located at the distant end of the link.

As it stands, it would not be a two-way device. You would need another similar one at the other end.

The 33 ohm resistor would use up quite a lot of the 9 volt supply voltage leaving relatively little for the speaker. In any case, it is considered bad practice to have DC current passing through a speaker coil.

I am working on a mini-project based on this. Its an introductory electronics course, so I don't hv much of a background. So could you give me a more detailed explanation, or maybe provide me with some material to refer to?

how do i simulate it on spice? As in how would i provide input, say for eg a sine wave? and where do i check the output?

You could substitute an 8 ohm resistor for the speaker on the right and a sinewave generator for the speaker on the left.

Then take the output from the collector of the transistor.

I think this is trying to represent an active telephone hybrid circuit, where the output from the xmit speaker does not produce a signal in the rcvr speaker and the input signal (from the line) does not produce a signal in the xmit speaker. See discussion of various telephone hybrid circuits at

http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/teleinterface.html#simplehybrid

One of the circuits shows the traditional transformer-coupled hybrid. About 2/3 the way down, a simple op-amp hybrid is shown.

Bob S

The speaker shown on the right would be remote from the speaker on the left as this is an amplifier for an intercom.

The feedback shown looks a lot like the constant current regulator you showed some time back, Bob.
I simulated it and it seemed to mostly control the DC behaviour of the opamp.

I would like to see the complete circuit, but something like the following could be worth trying:

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/intercom.PNG

Here, there is an amplifier and one speaker at each end.

Both speakers are connected to the line and no power is drawn from the battery supply.

When the switch at one end is pushed, power is applied to the amplifier and the local speaker functions as a microphone. The speaker at the other end stiil acts as a speaker and the transmission from the other end is heard.

Because the speakers are in parallel, there is a chance that loud sounds near one speaker would be heard in the other speaker.

However, there would be a big advantage in such a circuit. No power would be used on standby and this would be good for battery operated intercoms.

Last edited by a moderator:
The intercoms with hybrid circuits can send and receive at the same time (full duplex), so people can converse over the intercom (like our telephones) without having to use a push-to-talk button. Incoming signals from the line go only to the speaker, and outgoing signals from the mic bypass the speaker.

Bob S

All this circuit is is an amplifier. No hybrid. The AC signal voltage on the emitter will be 1000 times greater than the input signal from the left speaker. Changing the emitter resistor will change the bias on the speaker as well as the AC signal it receives. It seems like I've repaired older car radios that had DC flowing in the speaker.

Related to Two-Way Intercom System: How Does it Work?

1. How does a two-way intercom system work?

A two-way intercom system works by using two separate devices, typically called “stations”, that are connected through a wired or wireless communication channel. When one station is activated, it sends an audio signal to the other station, allowing two-way communication between the users.

2. What is the purpose of a two-way intercom system?

The purpose of a two-way intercom system is to facilitate communication between two or more individuals in different locations. It is commonly used in buildings, schools, hospitals, and other facilities where quick and efficient communication is necessary.

3. How does a two-way intercom system differ from a one-way system?

A one-way intercom system only allows communication in one direction, from one station to another. A two-way intercom system, on the other hand, allows communication to go both ways, enabling two-way conversation between the users.

4. What are the components of a two-way intercom system?

The main components of a two-way intercom system include the two stations, a microphone and speaker for each station, a communication channel, and a power source. Some systems may also have additional features such as video cameras, call buttons, and volume controls.

5. How is a two-way intercom system installed?

The installation process of a two-way intercom system may vary depending on the type of system and the location. In general, it involves connecting the stations to the communication channel and power source, testing the system, and adjusting the settings as needed. It is recommended to consult a professional for proper installation to ensure optimal performance.